*** Since I posted this, I found out that what we saw was part of the Obon Festival (it actually marks the closing of it). Obon is a Buddist-inspired celebration. It is believed by many of the older generation that the deceased ancestors return to their living families' homes during this festival. On Okinawa, Obon is also the time for eisa dancing- one of the most popular symbol of the Ryukuyu Islands (of which Okinawa is a part).***
Tonight, as we sat down to dinner, I heard music coming from outside. I got up to look out our back door and saw this.
On the street that runs behind our housing area, there was a concert of sorts.
A group of Okinawan men and women were out performing a traditional music & dance routine. Sorry about the fencing in all the pictures, but I got what I could!!
There was this man out in the truck with background music and a mic...
These men with hand drums, dancing...
And this guy, with the painted face, was leading them...
This guy performed a routine with this "stick"
and these women dancing behind them all. 
One of the reasons we decided to move overseas was to give our kids a taste of a different culture. I am not sure if this had anything to do with it being a Japanese Holiday weekend or not, but the kids and I were honored to have a chance to enjoy the performance.
A group of Okinawan men and women were out performing a traditional music & dance routine. Sorry about the fencing in all the pictures, but I got what I could!!
There was this man out in the truck with background music and a mic...
Our neighbors slowing started trickling out of their homes to see what was going on...and when the performance was over they did a little encore for us, performing "If You're Happy and You Know It" for the kids and "The Star Spangles Banner"!
No comments:
Post a Comment